The Systems Administrator supports day-to-day operations in the local Porto office, remotely in the EMEA region, and IT operations globally. As part of a global IT operation, the Systems Administrator will take first line ownership of their region, escalating as necessary and additionally working on global projects. This position is a skilled generalist who enjoys a wide variety of duties from setting up laptops and helpdesk support, to high level systems and network infrastructure configuration and maintenance. The Systems Administrator will work independently while keeping in close contact with global IT team to balance workloads, implement infrastructure and assist in other tasks as needed.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide primary first contact with exceptional customer service to the organisation including;
- Timely and appropriate response to incoming support requests using ServiceNow as the incident management system.
- Follow support requests through to conclusion and satisfaction of the initiator.
- Work closely with others Systems Administrators to balance workloads, tasks, strengths/weaknesses, and pursue further learning.
- Fluency in English speaking and writing.
- Establish and maintain local vendor and service provider relationships.
- Configure, maintain and address software and hardware issues with employee laptops.
- Support all variety of problems, questions and configurations on Windows (7 through 10), including standard desktop applications especially Microsoft Office suite, web browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox).
- Proactively evaluate and propose changes and improvements to software, image, and laptop models and configuration.
- Develop and maintain documentation relating to the design, creation, configuration, and support of the local office and global infrastructure as required.
- Understand and address special requirements of Oracle applications such as Java versions and security, hosts file resolution, PL/SQL developer and tnsnames.
- Troubleshoot networking issues for technical end users by evaluating hosts file, routes, DNS servers, VPN split tunnels.
Systems and Network Administration
- Perform routine router and switch updates and maintenance including VLANs, ACLs, IP routes, and site-to-site IPSec tunnels with customers.
- Design, configure and maintain Windows Server based infrastructure that includes Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, DFS namespaces, WebDAV, and occasional specialized applications.
- Configure and maintain Linux servers, primarily CentOS, for both internal infrastructure and development environments for technical consultants.
- Support, maintain, document and improve Office 365 hosted services including Exchange Online, SharePoint and Skype for Business.
- Develop and maintain documentation relating to the design, configuration and troubleshooting of the servers and associated equipment/hardware.
- Contact support as necessary for our various hardware and software under warranty (such as Cisco, Dell, and VMware).
- Proactively monitor systems and anticipate potential immediate and future needs.
- Provide ongoing support of record keeping and procurement, including:
- Software registry, hardware registry, backups, warranty and repairs.
- Remain in close communication with global Systems Administrators regarding system changes, project status, and balancing workloads and tasks.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative, while maintaining regular communication with team and leadership.
- Flexibility in tasks, priorities, new projects and changes to systems.
- Ability to work with and support employees at all levels of technical skill.
- Experience with operation and administration of common servers and services on Windows and Linux platforms, including DHCP, DNS, Exchange, Postfix, LDAP, Apache, IIS, Active Directory, AD FS.
- Knowledge and experience with Cisco router configuration and operation, including IPSec and AnyConnect SSL VPN.
- Enthusiasm for creating and maintaining documentation both geared towards users and other systems administrators.
- Sound knowledge of file server operations and usage, especially Windows DFS Namespaces
- Using VMware with a variety of hardware, operating systems, and configurations
- Familiarity with the operation, maintenance, configuration and administration of Office 365 suite including Exchange Online, SharePoint, and Skype for Business
- Excellent teamwork skills and attention to importance of communication and documentation to global IT team
- Maintain high ethical standards of discretion and confidentiality
- Experience with implementation and adherence to industry certifications such as PCI and ISO
- Emphasis on networking knowledge at all layers of the OSI model, while maintaining broad skills in other areas.
- Expertise in using VMware to its full capabilities.
- Experience with configuring, documenting, training users and rolling out Office 365 applications especially SharePoint and Skype for Business.
- Experience supporting end-use of Oracle Retail applications
Education & Experience:
- Bachelors degree and 2-3 years experience or equivalent.
- Proven IT experience in a technical support and infrastructure management role
- Industry certifications especially CCNA
- Experience working in a global business with a remote IT team and user base.