Our customers aren’t your average tourists: they are an open-minded, spontaneous and energetic bunch who want to immerse themselves in unknown cultures, not just observe them. They want to take home unforgettable stories, the kind you can’t make up. And it’s the other global travellers they meet along the way that make all of this possible.
That’s where hostels come in. They put you at the heart of the action and make it easy to meet other travellers from all over the world, providing a unique environment to immediately get talking to other people. Hostelworld is proud to be waving the flag for the hostel industry, and we’ve got a great story to tell.
We are looking for a highly motivated and accomplished engineer with an unwavering commitment to high-quality software and strong skills with object-oriented development and design patterns. Together you will be working on big, meaningful technical challenges aimed at driving the uptake and use of the app by travelers before, and during their trips.
You will help us improve and grow the world’s top-ranking hostel booking application, which has already accrued over 2 million downloads on Android alone.
- Write code that is consistent and clean both in formatting style and design with mutually agreed Android coding practices.
- Collaborate with the Product, Design, and QA teams during feature development
- Participate in Code Reviews.
- Actively contribute to the adoption of strong application architecture, development best practices, and new technologies.
- Maintain build systems and write unit tests.
- Be an active contributing part of an agile development team (daily stand-ups, weekly planning meetings, retrospectives, etc.)
Experience and Skills
- Requires 3+ years of software development experience, the last 2+ of which are dedicated to mobile.
- Have an understanding of good software development practices/patterns/architecture, including unit testing and integration testing
- Experience on the latest Android SDK, OS features and technology roadmap.
- Understand and utilize Android UI design principles, patterns, and best practices
- Have high proficiency in Java, Kotlin a big plus.
- Must be detail-oriented, self-organized, be committed to quality and be capable of tracking multiple issues simultaneously.
- Knowledge of the principles of good user interface design, specifically mobile.
- Experience with RxJava, Dagger, Retrofit.
- Experience developing and integrating with APIs.
- Ability to quickly learn, understand, test and debug existing codebases
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skill set.
- Experience with version control systems e.g. GIT/Mercurial.
- A friendly, positive and enthusiastic person who can work as part of a diverse team
- Adaptable and hard working
- Positive and always approachable
- Willing to take on a new intellectual challenge with a positive attitude
- Able to prioritise and meet deadlines
- Team player
- Thrives in a dynamic and rapidly changing environment
Nice to Have’s
- Prior experience designing and launching highly rated native apps to a large consumer audience is a big plus.
- Experience with android testing frameworks like Espresso.
- Experience with Scrum / agile methodologies.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or similar