Hiscox is an international specialist insurer and reinsurer. We provide market leading products and excellent service to individuals and businesses with unusual and often complicated insurance needs. A FTSE 250 company, we can trace our roots to the Lloyd’s market in 1901. We employ over 1,700 highly professional staff, have offices in 11 countries and customers all over the world.
In 2014 the Hiscox Group grew by 8.8% to £1,756.3 million gross written premium and our second biggest profit of £231.1 million, delivering a return on equity of 17.1%.
We cover reinsurance and insurance risks that range from marine, terrorism, aerospace, technology, media and professional indemnity through to high value personal insurance, such as homes and contents, fine art, luxury motor, and kidnap and ransom, and are market leaders in many of our chosen areas.
We are not a mass producer of insurance policies but focus on key areas of expertise and strength and we do business according to our core values of courage, quality, integrity, excellence and human.
The Hiscox Group is made up of the following business units:
- Hiscox London Market underwrites mainly internationally traded business in the London Market – generally large or complex business which needs to be shared with other insurers or needs the international licences of Lloyd’s.
- Hiscox Re our combined reinsurance teams in London, Bermuda and Paris, provide market leading expertise and a wide range of reinsurance products to high-quality insurers around the world.
- Hiscox Special Risks provides specialist insurance and expertise for global risks including fine art, kidnap and ransom and terrorism
- Hiscox US operating since 2006 from six locations offering professional liability, specialty and property insurance. Hiscox US also provides small business insurance direct to consumers.
- Hiscox UK and Hiscox Europe offers a range of specialist insurance for professionals and business customers, as well as high net worth individuals and also provides home and small business insurance directly to consumers.
- Hiscox Group is the umbrella function that supports all areas of the organisation, home to our operations, IT, Finance, HR, Marketing, Communications and Modelling teams.
Our business philosophy
The best people
Any business is only as good as the people it employs, and we employ the best in the business. We empower our people to provide the type of insurance solutions which are often too complex for other insurance companies, and aim to provide our customers with a level of personal attention that standard insurers might not be able to.
We are committed to developing our staff through our graduate programme, mentoring, in-house and external training, and our professional approach to setting standards is best practice. We are also members of the Chartered Insurance Institute, which has a long history of championing professional standards within the industry, and many of our people have become – or are in the process of becoming – CII accredited.
The best clients
Hiscox has three vital questions for every risk – “Who is the insured? Who is the insured? Who is the insured?”. Who we insure is as important as what we insure. Whatever the business, be it a global oil company or a one man professional practice, we are interested in the management and how the business is run. Our belief is that the good insured always pays too much, and the bad insured too little. By seeking out the good insures and avoiding the bad, we are able to offer wide cover at reasonable premiums.
All of our products have been designed with our customers’ specific needs in mind. Creative use of technology has also improved distribution and enabled us to respond even more quickly and effectively to our customers. Unlike many of our competitors, Hiscox really is an organisation that thrives on change.
The Credit Control function currently operates on a country by country basis with members located in Bordeaux, Munich and Lisbon servicing our broker, cover holder business and direct business clients across 5 European countries (Belgium, Holland, Germany, France and Spain). The team has 15 multi-lingual Credit Controllers who need to find the balance between managing client relationships sensitively and recovering debt in a way that meets our values and position in the market.
The main objective of this role is to support our country teams in managing their Credit Control by providing a senior efficient and high quality administrative service. The Credit Control Senior should act as the voice of the customer and provide a superb service to clients.
- General administrative duties such as scanning, photocopying, profiling, issuing documentation and mailbox monitoring.
- Print, process and dispatch standard letters and emails as required.
- Accurate, timely and efficient data entry and quality checking of cash receipts as per Hiscox standards including give support to data cleansing and mass change processing projects.
- Delivers exceptional service standards/KPI’s and maintain the relevant data updated.
- Liaising with internal and external parties to respond to and resolve queries within processing deadlines.
- Participate in the implementation of continuous improvement or change project work and processes.
- Undertake ad hoc reports and projects to develop the credit control service across Hiscox and improve, standardise and automate processes where possible.
- Manage and run the direct debt process, to reconcile differences on client and broker accounts, disburse cash received, help recover and resolve outstanding, overdue debts and manage a small brokers portfolio.
- Distribute monthly statements and correspondence of overdue accounts to our clients and resolve any questions so that open items are settled promptly .
- Resolve queries from underwriters and queries from brokers by e-mail, letter and phone.
- Provide support to other teams to cover absences and peak workloads.
- Reconcile bank transactions with Finance Department.
- Support new staff training and actively participate on new tasks transition.
- Apply different procedures depending on the brokerage scheme, product or exceptions, such as:
- Recovery by mail, email, phone or fax;
- Negotiation of payment terms;
- Notice insured;
- Management of notice impact;
- Constitution of the debt issue for the collection company subcontractor or judicial officers;
- Dealing with customers complaints and complex system issues (e.g. EDI, UAT).
- Collect premiums and cover a portfolio of brokers and partners (banks, mutual funds), according to various stimulus patterns related to the nature of contracts or the intermediaries.
- Ensure each charge of recovery is to lower outstanding portfolio while maintaining a business relationship and a high quality service to our partners.
- Act as point of escalation for more complex work or difficult to manage situations.
- Support the coordination and participate in the implementation of continuous improvement or change project work and processes.
- Analysis of Ageing report and own portfolio.
- Responsible for: Premium Collections, Check Deposits, commissions payments, discounts and other overpayments.
- Impute regulations in the computer system: treatment of unpaid, in charge of each step of the procedure and clearance of outstanding financial movements.
- Analysis and preparation of management information reports as requested by the Coordinator/Team Leader.
- Provide new ideas and support the Coordinator/Team Leader regarding execution.
- Find proactive approaches to ensure regulatory, tax, corporate and compliance requirements are met when applicable.
- Organize audits of partners holding a delegation of management and underwriting.
- Maintain and update Process documentation and tasks Log.
- Evaluation of credit worthiness of current and new customers, including completion of Account Risk Assessments as required. Develops analytical skills to interpret all information prior to extending, increasing or denying credit availability till the agreed thresholds. Analysis can include investigating credit applications, reviewing, analysing and interpreting financial statements and trade credit reports.
- Baccalaureate qualification.
- Proficient in written and spoken English and country language.
- Strong and confident telephone manor.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work as a member of various teams.
- Curious, willing to learn and showing a challenging conventions spirit.
- Excellent accuracy and attention to detail and Quality to produce high quality output even when dealing with high volume and under time pressure.
- Ability to organise and prioritise and plan workload to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated personal integrity: doing what they say they’ll do when they said they’d do it.
- Personable, able to develop rapport easily and build relationships across and outside Hiscox.
- Good Customer Focus.
- Results driven, with the energy and determination to succeed in a very fast paced environment where the pace and quality of response are critical to success.
- Experience in commercial negotiations is advisable being patient and respectful to our clients and then professionally firm and determined to recover debts.
- Experience of working in an office environment, ideally in a multinational and multi lingual environment. This could include work experience as part of a training programme but is not essential.
- Experience in credit control is an advantage.
- Evidence of an interest in a career in administration, insurance or operations is required.
- Good computer skills including Microsoft Outlook and Excel skills.
- Finance knowledge on the customer side is a plus.
- Ability to understand the operations model for the business area and company vision.
- Ability to challenge conventions to increase efficiency and quality of operational support.
- Ability to take ownership of operational problems and apply logical thinking to resolve them.
- Ability to think broadly around issues and see the bigger picture.
- Ability to make timely decisions that impact service delivery.
- Ability to focus on making an impact in the area displayed by an eagerness to make a difference, even under pressure.
- Ability to work with colleagues to deliver quality and service improvements.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join Hiscox during a time of focused growth where you will have the remit to make a real difference.
Hiscox offers an environment where you are encouraged to grow with the team and this is an exciting time to be joining this fast growing organisation. There will be plenty of opportunity for on the job career development within a supportive environment.