This role is required to be prepared to take responsibility or to assist in all aspects of the financial accounting for Portugal, ensuring that policies and procedures are followed and that the accounting complies with appropriate GAAP and taxation laws including:
- General Ledger (and month end close process)
- Accounts Payable, and cost control
- Accounts Receivable
- Tax accounting
- Employee travel expense management
- Bank funding, cashbook, bank statement reconciliations, etc.
- Payroll administration
- Provision of financial information and resolution of queries
- Participating in projects to improve processes and efficiencies in the above areas.
This position is responsible for:
- Ensure that the monthly close process for all entities in the region meet with Corporate Reporting deadlines (Day 4 reporting), ready for review by AD Finance and submission into Group Reporting. Includes performing a balance sheet review and ensuring appropriate accruals, prepayments, etc. have been calculated and included.
- Work with local staff and outsourced accounting providers to ensure that all purchasing requirements are met, including review of new suppliers, accurate purchase orders raised, and invoices are presented for payment on time and paid within terms.
- Work closely with local staff, banks, Treasury and outsourced accountants to ensure prompt and adequate funding of the local operational bank accounts.
- Ensure all staff expense claims are promptly processed, have received adequate scrutiny and been properly authorized.
- Ensure accurate statutory returns (incl. statutory financial statements & tax returns) are prepared and filed within the statutory timelines.
- Assist Senior Accountant / Outsourced Accountants in preparation of an accurate and timely monthly payroll, including time and absence tracking where appropriate. Ensure appropriate statutory returns are filed on time.
- Preparation of ad hoc reports and participation in projects as required.
Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We strive to develop best-in-class products, many of which are available in more than 100 countries, across core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Ophthalmics, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal/Internal Medicine/Endocrine and Hereditary Angioedema; and a growing franchise in Oncology.
Our employees come to work every day with a shared mission: to develop and deliver breakthrough therapies for the hundreds of millions of people in the world affected by rare diseases and other high-need conditions, and who lack effective therapies to live their lives to the fullest.