Who are we?
Hiscox is an international specialist insurer and reinsurer. We provide market leading products and excellent service to individuals and businesses with unusual and often complicated insurance needs. A FTSE 250 company, we can trace our roots to the Lloyd’s market in 1901. We employ over 2,200 highly professional staff, have offices in 14 countries and customers all over the world.
In 2015 the Hiscox Group grew by 10.7% to £1,944.2 million gross written premium and a very healthy profit of £216.1 million, delivering a return on equity of 16%.
We cover reinsurance and insurance risks that range from marine, terrorism, aerospace, technology, media and professional indemnity through to high value personal insurance, such as homes and contents, fine art, luxury motor, and kidnap and ransom, and are market leaders in many of our chosen areas.
We are not a mass producer of insurance policies but focus on key areas of expertise and strength. We do business according to our core values of courage, quality, integrity, excellence and human.
The Hiscox Group is made up of the following business units:
- Hiscox London Market underwrites mainly internationally traded business in the London Market – generally large or complex businesses which need to be shared with other insurers or need the international licences of Lloyd’s.
- Hiscox Re, our combined reinsurance team in London, Bermuda and Paris, provides market leading expertise and a wide range of reinsurance products to high-quality insurers around the world.
- Hiscox Guernsey provides specialist insurance and expertise for global risks including fine art, kidnap and ransom, and terrorism.
- Hiscox US, operating since 2006 from six locations, offers professional liability, specialty and property insurance. Hiscox US also provides small business insurance direct to consumers.
- Hiscox UK and Europe offers a range of specialist insurance for professionals and business customers, as well as high net worth individuals and also provides home and small business insurance directly to consumers.
Our business philosophy
The best people
Any business is only as good as the people it employs, and we aim to employ the best in the business. We empower our people to provide the type of insurance solutions which are often too complex for other insurance companies, and aim to provide our customers with a level of personal attention that standard insurers might not be able to.
We are committed to developing our staff through our graduate programme, mentoring, in-house and external training. Our professional approach to setting standards is best practice. We are also members of the Chartered Insurance Institute, which has a long history of championing professional standards within the industry, and many of our people have become – or are in the process of becoming – CII accredited.
The best clients
Hiscox has three vital questions for every risk – “Who is the insured? Who is the insured? Who is the insured?”. Who we insure is as important as what we insure. Whatever the business, be it a global oil company or a one man professional practice, we are interested in the management and how the business is run. Our belief is that the good insured always pays too much, and the bad insured too little. By seeking out the good insured and avoiding the bad, we are able to offer wide cover at reasonable premiums.
All of our products have been designed with our customers’ specific needs in mind. Creative use of technology has also improved distribution and enabled us to respond even more quickly and effectively to our customers. Unlike many of our competitors, Hiscox is an organisation that thrives on change.
Hiscox Europe covers Belgium, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain and Portugal. There are approximately 300 staff in Europe in total. As a business we generate sales of around €200 million per annum via two main lines of business Art and Private Client (high net worth private households, personal fine art, and public and personal collections) and Professional, Specialty and Commercial (professional liability for small to large sized businesses, commercial property, and D&O products).
The Policy Administrator is responsible for the handling of tasks related to the preparation and subsequent administration of insurance policies. Main objective of role is to provide high quality administrative support to underwriters, brokers and end clients. For certain business lines/products the Policy Administrator has an Administrative Decision Making Authority based on pre-established criteria defined on an Authority Letter which can have different limits according to experience and seniority.
The work of the team follows a set process, for a variety of different administrative tasks and this will include:
- Office based administration work to ensure high quality and efficient processing of administration requests with specific analysis, from a range of stakeholders including external brokers and end clients as well as internal underwriting teams. These processes include, quote preparation with predefined limits / rates / premium, as well as policy issuing, mid-term adjustments, renewals, cancellations, Pre Priced Proposals and accepting and declining of insurance risks within given guidelines.
- First point of contact for brokers and clients to provide superb customer experience by answering all internal and external questions which fall within the Policy Admin scope, and determine and execute the transfer of all other questions to the relevant departments.
- Accurate, timely and efficient data entry of insurance risks as per the Hiscox standards to achieve Service Excellence, as well as general administrative duties such as scanning, photocopying, profiling, issuing documentation and mailbox monitoring.
- Ensuring constant superb quality output by performing regular Quality Audits.
- Testing and supporting UAT as well and new administrative tools, processes and documentation
- Liaising with internal and external parties to respond to and resolve queries within processing deadlines.
- Delivering exceptional service standards/KPI’s.
- Supporting data cleansing and mass change processing projects.
- Preparing management information reports as requested using various reporting tolls and methods.
- Participating and providing support to process improvement projects.
- Participating and support the implementation in continuous improvement or change project work.
- Contributing to technical support and procedural best practice and support.
- Providing new ideas and support the team leader and coordinator regarding execution.
- Providing support to other teams to cover absences and peak workloads.
- Person Specification
- You will have a Baccalaureate qualification.
- Proficient in written and spoken country language and in English.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work as a member of various teams.
- Curious, willing to learn and showing a challenging conventions spirit.
- Excellent accuracy and attention to detail and Quality to produce high quality output even when dealing with high volume and under time pressure.
- Ability to organise and prioritise and plan workload to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrating personal integrity; doing what they say they’ll do when they said they’d do it.
- Personable, able to develop rapport easily and build relationships across and outside Hiscox.
- Good Customer Focus.
- Expresses a “can-do” attitude.
- You will ideally have experience of working in an office environment, ideally in a multi-national, multi lingual environment. This could include work experience as part of a training programme but is not essential.
- Experience in insurance is an advantage.
- Evidence of an interest in a career in administration, insurance or shared services is required.
- You will need good computer skills including Microsoft Outlook and Excel skills. Training to develop your IT skills can be provided.