Ensure accurate and timely processing, handling, and maintenance of all payroll records, process standardization and simplification efforts, as well as payroll impacting strategic initiatives, for its overall quality. Forecast, Monthly Salaries and Productivity Analysis, as well as re-engaging the time schedules with all departments to make sure the targets (service delivering and financial) are met. Monthly, Quarterly and Annual metrics and Audit, overseeing efforts to improve data quality accuracy, process efficiency, and employee experience. Will report directly to the Director of Human Resources and with dotted line to the Director of Finance.
- Prepare input sheets for daily processing of payroll.
- Maintains payroll information by designing systems; directing the collection, calculation, and entering of data.
- Updates payroll records by reviewing and approving changes in exceptions, insurance coverage, savings deductions, job titles, and department transfers.
- Prepares reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and nontaxable wages.
- Conducts Month/Quarter/Year End statistical payroll analysis, including balancing and auditing all tax filings and periodically audit payroll and benefit deductions to ensure and validate plans remain accurate and legally compliant.
- Determines payroll liabilities by approving the calculation of employee government legislation income and social security taxes, and employer’s social security, unemployment, and workers compensation payments.
- Complies with government legislation, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Balances the payroll accounts by resolving payroll discrepancies.
- Provides payroll information by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains payroll guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures.
- Maintains employees and departments confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
- Ensures overall alignment and engagement of the HOD’s in payroll compliance in the property.
- Enforces policies and procedures and internal accounting controls.
- Provides leadership, assistance and training to people managers to ensure they understand time approval process, wage & hour laws, payroll policies, procedures and systems.
- Liaises with Director of Human Resources and Director of Finance on a monthly basis to review and identify eventual discrepancies in the results and payroll costs vs forecast and budget.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending trainings; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Completes operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
- Maintains payroll staff job results by counseling and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Anticipate project problems and complications and formulate solutions so as to not impeded the progress.
- Promotes continuous quality improvements within the payroll department by reevaluating procedures and designing methods to improve efficiency and customer service.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Work with confidence under deadlines in an environment where it may be required to stand firm to balance the company initiatives with the needs of the local and regional partners.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the hotel.
Additional duties as necessary and assigned.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The Payroll Manager must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
Knowledge & Skills
- Demonstrated business expertise with desire to learn and evolve with a growth-oriented business model.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills both verbal and written.
- Exhibits initiative in problem-solving and trouble-shooting with attention to detail.
- Ability to work on multiple projects with time constraints and varying deadlines.
- Ability to provide sound, practical advice in response to complex and rapidly changing conditions.
- Ability to handle multiple, competing projects concurrently with a results-oriented focus.
- Ability to understand and adapt to continuously changing environment with complex challenges.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, teambuilding, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to take direction and work independently.
- Excellent knowledge of payroll processing, reporting and systems.
- Mandatory expert knowledge in shared services of SAP system.
- Demonstrate sound work ethics and loyalty.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Finance, Accounting, Business or related field.
- Previous payroll experience managing a department with multiple direct reports.