ASR Group is the world’s largest refiner and marketer of cane sugar, with an annual production capacity of more than 6 million tons of sugar. The company produces a full line of grocery, industrial, food service and specialty sweetener products. Across North America, ASR Group owns and operates six sugar refineries, located in Louisiana, New York, California, Maryland, Canada and Mexico. In the European Union, the company owns and operates sugar refineries in England, Portugal and Italy. ASR Group also owns and operates mills in Mexico and Belize. The company’s brand portfolio includes the leading brands Domino®, C&H®, Redpath®, Tate & Lyle®, Lyle’s® and Sidul®.
Reporting to the Refinery Manager, the position will be responsible for providing advice and support to Line Management, to enable them to meet the company’s legal duty of care to its employees, contractors and visitors, assuring a safe working environment; Managing the safety programs, working closely with corporate and plant personnel, to maximize overall efficiency and effectiveness of the safety and health efforts; Leading the implementation and evaluation of critical safety procedures to achieve goals and continuous improvement related to compliance as well as injury reduction.
DETAILED ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and facilitate compliance with all relevant legislation and applicable consensus standards.
- Ensure compliance with ASR Group health and safety procedures and policies.
- Define site vision for safety and align plant safety goals to meet the plant and corporate business objectives.
- Implement, manage and monitor all corporate safety and health programs and processes across the plant.
- Focus on behavior, workplace conditions & effective procedures; promote a positive H&S culture with accountability throughout the organization.
- Be proactive and committed to continuous improvement by supporting all related activities with his H&S knowledge.
- Liaise with external H&S agencies and maintain current knowledge of legal requirements to communicate to the organization.
- Manage fire protection and H&S associated maintenance contracts.
- Manage the fire systems (by rectifying defects, maintaining equipment, budgets, relevant testing) and records to ensure compliance.
- Ensure the appropriate H&S training is given to all employees, as necessary, including H&S with new contractors.
- Lead employee engagement efforts and act as a primary driver to increase H&S visibility and awareness at the plant.
- Provide regular status reports regarding the safety program and metrics to the corporate Director of Health & Safety and the Refinery Manager.
- Coordinate and lead H&S Committees and ensure the frequency of the meetings.
- Serve as an active member of the Corporate Safety Network Committee. Ability to travel to other company locations as a member of an assessment team or to serve as a subject matter expert as required.
- Arrange regular auditing according to the H&S management system.
- Assist in site audits/inspections with external bodies (DRLVT, ACT, Insurers, fire brigades, fire officer ANPC).
- Assist IS/IT by providing user and programming support for incident investigation, injury reporting & fire training.
- Be actively involved and provide approval on design / project activities of Capex Projects regarding H&S issues.
- Conduct risk assessment, auditing and gap analysis as required to identify risks and gaps and make recommendations for improvement and sustainability of the safety program.
- Improve compliance of PPE site-wide.
ESSENTIAL CAPABILITIES (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES)
- Knowledge of safety management systems such as risk assessment, auditing and permits to work.
- Incident Investigation and Root Cause Analysis Experience.
- Return-To-Work Program Management Experience.
- Behavioral Safety Auditing Experience.
- Engineering skills to support knowledge of fire systems.
- Able to coach, train and facilitate operating teams.
- People skills essential with particular emphasis on management and effective communication.
- Proactive, self-directed, highly organized and committed to continuous improvement.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters.
- Ability to work within tight deadlines.
- Effective team player.
- Excellent proficiency in Microsoft Office (PPT, Excel, Word) and SAP
- Fluent in English.
- Occasional travel to USA / Europe locations required
ESSENTIAL WORK EXPERIENCES
- Minimum of 5 year experience working on EHS system with preference in a manufacturing plant.
- Experience of safety aspects of plant operation, design and maintenance
- Participation in HAZOP’s as part of a project team.
ESSENTIAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety, Industrial Hygiene, or a related field from an accredited university or college.
- Safety certification.
- Audit certification (preferabe)
- Trainer certification (preferable)