Underwear pattern maker is responsible for developing and creating patterns for a variety of underwear apparels (such as lingerie, corsetery, and even beachwear).
He/She will conceptualize their patterns through the use of drawings and sketches. The task may require entail grading, detailing, and adjusting garments in various sizes.
Main professional activities
- Translate and interpret the drawing of designers into piece orders to replicate shapes that will serve as pattern
- Understand the difference between several fabrics and their impact on pattern requirements
- Know how in grading to ensure the correct adjust in patterns for each body shape and size
- Grade the patterns according to the required range of garment sizes
- Conduct proper fittings and issue necessary adjustments or corrections
- Maintain an open communication with designers and manufacturers to ensure smooth transition of designs into products
- Inspect the accuracy of sample pattern to ascertain that it follows the original sketch design
- Alter sample garments as necessary to satisfy cost specification and manufacturing limitations
- Provide advice or input on the right machine techniques to use, and ability to provide technical instruction to production
- High degree of technical knowledge balanced with creative ability and a hands-on approach.
- Experience in textile industry, especially in underwear/lingerie
- Knowledge of industrial processes and techniques.
- Strong technical, garment & construction knowledge
- Sewing skills