The Support Engineer is a trusted advisor to IT Professionals – you will have influence over a broad range of solutions that create business value for our customers. Your technical and relationship skills are critical to the success of the customer’s perception of value of the Microsoft solution. You will have a chance to solve technically complex problems for the some of the world’s largest companies, as well as smaller companies on the leading edge of their industry.
At Microsoft Customer Support Services(CSS), the sentence: “That’s not our problem” doesn’t exist in our lexicon. With more than 7,000 employees, we deliver world-class assistance around the clock to businesses, partners and developers in 24 languages.
Support Engineering at Microsoft
As a Support Engineer, you will solve high level complex problems, involving broad, in-depth product knowledge or in-depth product specialty; may include support of additional product line. Frequently, these problems will not only be technically complex, but will be politically charged situations requiring the highest level of customer skill.
- As a Support Engineer you will represent Microsoft in customer communication via phone, email, chat or on site to assist customers in resolving technical issues involving Microsoft products and services.
- You will have the opportunity to foster positive customer relationships and build customer loyalty in Microsoft, while effectively managing challenging situations.
It’s your chance to:
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills, while working with diverse audiences including highly technical IT professionals, developers, architects, and executive management.
- Exhibit leadership through personal responsibility, accountability and teamwork.
- Act as a technical focal point in cooperative relationships with other companies.
- Manage crisis situations that may involve technically challenging issues and diverse audiences.
- Own and resolve technically complex mission critical or politically hot customer issues
- Be responsive to customer needs which may sometimes require outside of normal business hours or on-call rotation.
- Use trace analysis, debug skills, source code, and other proprietary tools, to analyze problems and develop solutions to meet customer needs; this may involve writing code.
- Maintain strong working knowledge of released products, take ownership for product improvement, and participate in pre-release activities and BETA programs.
- Lead triage meetings to share knowledge with other engineers and develop customer solutions efficiently.
- Earn certifications as an MCSE, MCSD or MCPD.
Recommended qualifications include:
- Superior problem solving and troubleshooting skills at the System Engineer level; exceptional customer service, overall communication and technical writing skills.
- Must have sufficient technical depth to communicate with development and other internal organizations at a peer level;
- Must possess the ability to work independently with minimal management supervision and as part of regional team of engineers;
- Demonstrated aptitude for providing exceptional customer service in politically charged environments; –
Ability to enhance the technical expertise of peers via the development of product training, mentoring of new hires, and team content development;
- Ability to apply technology to improve existing products and systems at customers and for internal use; Ability to actively participate in team support by proposing and implementing solutions;
- Assist in developing strategies to gain additional Premier support accounts by contacting and establishing relationships with Premier Support Managers and Technical Account Managers.
- A superior knowledge and demonstrated technical proficiency in Sharepoint Server and Sharepoint Online Strong knowledge of SharePoint 2010 or 2013 and Office365/SharePoint Online.
- Support experience of investigating complex SharePoint issues relating to performance, administration, site configuration and customization.
- Experience of using support tools such as Fiddler, HTTPWatch, NetMon, IE Developer Tools.
- Functional knowledge of using PowerShell, ability to write complex PowerShell scripts.
- Strong understating of SharePoint administration principals, using SharePoint Central Admin and SQL Management Studio, SQL Profiler.
- Good general networking knowledge including DNS, TCP/IP, Sub-netting.
- Understanding of SharePoint development methodologies, C#, Sandbox solutions.
- College degree, preferably in Computer Science, is preferred. MCSE strongly preferred, but not required at hire. Related field (or equivalent) experience will be considered.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity. All applications for vacant positions will be welcomed and will be considered on the relative merits of the applicant against the role profile for the position regardless of color, race, nationality, ethnic origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, parental responsibilities, age, religion, or belief.