About the role:
As Europe Data Protection Attorney you will be required to have a deep knowledge of privacy and data protection requirements in Europe including the new General Data Privacy Regulation (GDPR). This is a key role within a highly visible Corporate, External & Legal Affairs Team, which will require the successful candidate to work in partnership with both the business and in-country attorneys as a trusted advisor.
Some of your key responsibilities will involve:
- Providing a point of focus for data protection issues in Europe and becoming a trusted partner to Microsoft’s businesses, providing day-to-day support to business leaders and in-country attorneys as an expert advisor;
- Advising on and managing data protection risk and providing timely, strategic and commercial advice across Microsoft’s businesses throughout Europe, in particular, reviewing and negotiating data protection and information security terms in enterprise cloud services agreements;
- Assisting in developing and maintaining a network of privacy champions in the businesses through education, training and awareness programmes;
- Collaborating with our Corporate teams in developing and documenting processes, policies and procedures designed to implement the new General Data Privacy Regulation (GDPR) and reduce data protection risk and/or increase efforts to drive competitive differentiation related to the sale and deployment of Microsoft’s Enterprise cloud services;
- Engaging with and supporting Microsoft’s local in-country lawyers and/or external lawyers where appropriate to provide efficient and high quality support (within agreed budgets) on leading regional projects, sales transactions and customer risk assessments;
- In conjunction with Microsoft’s Corporate security, risk and operational functions respond to and provide appropriate advice on data incidents;
- Identify, address and negotiate data protection issues arising from Microsoft’s most strategic customer facing enterprise cloud sales & deployment contracts;
- Develop and roll out checklists, policies and training, assist with filing and registration requirements with European data protection regulators;
- Liaise with colleagues in other regions of the world to promote consistent data protection/ privacy practices globally;
- Monitor and respond to developments in privacy and information security (i.e., new laws, regulations, important case decisions, regulatory guidance, etc.).
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Comprehensive knowledge of IT issues affecting transactional support, including technical, privacy and security, business, compliance, and legal issues. Ability to understand and explain complex privacy requirements or challenges and create effective solutions. Experience of reviewing and negotiating privacy controls and control objectives in commercial agreements.
- Superior communication skills and experience with active listening and understanding information gathered from various sources, and ability to communicate legal advice promptly and pragmatically in a business context.
- Up-to-date working knowledge of Microsoft products and services
- Well-rounded business perspective; passion for technology and willingness to learn.
- Ability to contribute positively as a member of a team in an intense, fast-paced environment.
- Agility to navigate a diverse organization and obtain inputs from stakeholders in a productive and timely manner.
- Results-driven problem-solver who can take ownership while remaining inclusive of others.
- Ability to work independently in a legal role with a heavy emphasis on business agreements and negotiations with customers and partners.
- Disciplined, focused, thorough and dedicated to meeting high standards of excellence.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across a global organization, in person and virtually, across time zones as needed.
- Ability to meet deadlines on short time frames and under pressure, setting and adjusting priorities quickly.
- Excellent time management, prioritization and organizational skills.
- Flexible and adaptable “people person” who recognizes and celebrates others’ talents and contributions.
Key Success Criteria:
The successful candidate must be able to quickly embrace (or in case of an internal hire, continue to embrace) the culture of innovation, constant change and relentless improvement that makes Microsoft the unique company that it is today and will be in the future, and be able to demonstrate strong business acumen and recognized operational expertise which will enable him/her to provide strategic guidance to Microsoft’s fast changing business. They must be action oriented with an ability to prioritize and manage fast moving clients, think strategically and always adopt a problem solving approach to issues.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
1) Essential Experience
- Fully qualified lawyer;
- Post qualification experience in a data protection function entitled to practice in a major legal jurisdiction;
- Have excellent academic credentials;
- Strong language skills (fluent English and fluency in one other major European language would be highly desirable);
- Strong demonstrable success and proven track record as a practicing as a data protection attorney;
- The successful candidate will have a clear understanding of European data protection obligations, online data protection issues, issues that arise in the context of suppliers and third parties or enterprise wide IT systems and data transfer issues;
- The successful candidate will also have knowledge of and experience working with European data protection regulators and significant experience handling legal issues in a technology environment, while demonstrating a well-rounded business perspective and solution-oriented approach;
- Legal and/or data protection qualification (ISEB, International Association of Privacy Professionals (e.g. CIPP E/IT and/or CIPM or similar) would be desirable.
2) Technical/Functional Skills
- Experience working in a company operating globally in the technology sector is essential, as are strong project management capabilities and the ability to work in a shifting and dramatically changing business environment.
- They must be self-starters and effective in supporting transactions across geographies and organizations, collaborate well with colleagues located in many various locations and be a great team player.
- For an internal candidate, a proven track record of successful cross-group collaboration across CELA and business teams.
- They must also have excellent analytic, legal drafting and oral and written communication skills. Should have significant experience drafting and negotiating a broad variety of agreements concerning the distribution, licensing, or ownership of software and online services, and have a strong understanding of product development legal issues.
3) Personal Attributes/Interpersonal Skills
- Be ready to provide strategic advice to senior business executives and to show strong organizational capabilities allowing him/herself to rapidly adjust to changing business organization and priorities, and have a strong service oriented attitude allowing them to help the overall CELA organization to grow its business awareness and expertise. The role requires seniority, leadership maturity and the ability to work effectively across a wide array of stakeholders, demonstrating impact and influence across the organization.
- Ability to think creatively, quickly and collaboratively.
- Ability to think and act strategically.
- Ability to lead virtual teams without direct management responsibility.
- Be highly motivated and driven.
- Sound and practical business judgment and desire to establish a “trusted advisor” relationship with CELA colleagues, executives and key business clients.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, meet demanding deadlines in a fast-paced environment, prioritize workflow and adjust to frequent workload fluctuations.
- Ability to solve problems with a focus on achieving results that benefit our business as well as the businesses of our customers and partners.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.