Hiscox is an international specialist insurer and reinsurer. We provide market leading products and excellent service to individuals and businesses with unusual and often complicated insurance needs. A FTSE 250 company, we can trace our roots to the Lloyd’s market in 1901. We employ over 1,700 highly professional staff, have offices in 11 countries and customers all over the world.
In 2014 the Hiscox Group grew by 8.8% to £1,756.3 million gross written premium and our second biggest profit of £231.1 million, delivering a return on equity of 17.1%.
We cover reinsurance and insurance risks that range from marine, terrorism, aerospace, technology, media and professional indemnity through to high value personal insurance, such as homes and contents, fine art, luxury motor, and kidnap and ransom, and are market leaders in many of our chosen areas.
We are not a mass producer of insurance policies but focus on key areas of expertise and strength and we do business according to our core values of courage, quality, integrity, excellence and human.
The Hiscox Group is made up of the following business units:
- Hiscox London Market underwrites mainly internationally traded business in the London Market – generally large or complex business which needs to be shared with other insurers or needs the international licences of Lloyd’s.
- Hiscox Re our combined reinsurance teams in London, Bermuda and Paris, provide market leading expertise and a wide range of reinsurance products to high-quality insurers around the world.
- Hiscox Special Risks provides specialist insurance and expertise for global risks including fine art, kidnap and ransom and terrorism
- Hiscox US operating since 2006 from six locations offering professional liability, specialty and property insurance. Hiscox US also provides small business insurance direct to consumers.
- Hiscox UK and Hiscox Europe offers a range of specialist insurance for professionals and business customers, as well as high net worth individuals and also provides home and small business insurance directly to consumers.
- Hiscox Group is the umbrella function that supports all areas of the organisation, home to our operations, IT, Finance, HR, Marketing, Communications and Modelling teams.
Our business philosophy:
The best people
Any business is only as good as the people it employs, and we employ the best in the business. We empower our people to provide the type of insurance solutions which are often too complex for other insurance companies, and aim to provide our customers with a level of personal attention that standard insurers might not be able to.
We are committed to developing our staff through our graduate programme, mentoring, in-house and external training, and our professional approach to setting standards is best practice. We are also members of the Chartered Insurance Institute, which has a long history of championing professional standards within the industry, and many of our people have become – or are in the process of becoming – CII accredited.
The best clients
Hiscox has three vital questions for every risk – “Who is the insured? Who is the insured? Who is the insured?”. Who we insure is as important as what we insure. Whatever the business, be it a global oil company or a one man professional practice, we are interested in the management and how the business is run. Our belief is that the good insured always pays too much, and the bad insured too little. By seeking out the good insures and avoiding the bad, we are able to offer wide cover at reasonable premiums.
All of our products have been designed with our customers’ specific needs in mind. Creative use of technology has also improved distribution and enabled us to respond even more quickly and effectively to our customers. Unlike many of our competitors, Hiscox really is an organisation that thrives on change.
Hiscox Europe covers Belgium, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain and Portugal. There are approximately 340 staff in Europe in total. As a business we generate sales of around €240 million per annum via two main products Art and Private Client (high net worth private households, personal fine art, and public and personal collections) and Professional, Specialty and Commercial (professional liability for small to large sized businesses, commercial property, and D&O products).
The reputation of Hiscox falls on three pillars of our business – our Sales and Development Underwriters to provide solutions to the risks faced by our customers, our Claims Underwriters to help our careful and honest clients as part of our promise, and our Operations to deliver a high level of customer service. Each part touches the lives of our customers and each must work together to deliver a superb service.
The Operations Manager role has two distinct parts: Part 1 concerns daily policy administration management to deliver a superb service to our customers, brokers and insurers, in all 6 countries across Europe; Part 2 is to drive the success of our European target operating model. The later includes reviewing, improving and harmonising processes that we use in the European Shared Service Centre Policy Administration teams to drive efficiencies but above all improve quality and customer service.
Superb service delivery
- Manage our Policy Administration teams to provide a consistent, high quality and responsive service to our operating businesses in Belgium, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain and Portugal.
- Monitor and manage the service levels by country according to agreed KPIs and SLAs including quality, time and cost targets.
- Build and develop relationships with Country Operations and other Head of Functions as your stakeholders, in order to develop the expected depth and quality of service provided by your team. Drive, correct and update/communicate to deliver agreed plans and goals.
- Review proactively customer service results and drive behaviours, processes and procedures in order to positively impact company results.
- Develop new approaches to exceed the service provided to the clients and operating businesses by identifying needs and analysing information acting with long term interests.
Target operating model execution
- In close coordination with Country Operations and their teams, and with the support of other Head of Functions and Service Improvement teams, deliver target operating model and country roadmaps to ESSC.
- In association with Country Operations and their teams, identify and prioritise operational improvement/standardisation opportunities for Policy Administration. Engage with them to obtain buy-in to deliver process improvements and agree on measures of success.
- Lead specific (lean) reviews to improve quality and or reduce costs for Policy Administration. Coach Policy Admin staff and team leaders on process improvement/lean methodology to encourage a culture of customer centricity and continuous improvement.
- Address proactively and resolve problems, whilst improving processes, products and services in order to ensure business performance gains in the long term.
- Have a constant mind-set on improvement regarding processes, quality and efficiency, proactively suggesting new actions, changes and tools to drive benefits to the Policy Administration function.
- Lead, develop and coach Policy Administration team (Team leaders, coordinators and policy administrators).
- Optimise their potential and performance, setting performance and development objectives with a particular emphasis on developing (customer) relationship management skills as well as technical skills.
- Drive accountability and high standards towards the Policy Administration team, sensing when a change of direction is required and inspiring the team to a sense of belonging.
- Work closely with the Service Improvement team, providing specific requests and knowledge taking the most benefits from the time allocated and representing a sound board for this team’s own development.
- Well-developed influencing and persuasion skills.
- Ability to work with and challenge senior management to create the need for change and their commitment to support it.
- Highly organised and efficient project manager, where you must be able to combine the skills of strategic thinking, planning and structure to deliver a programme of multiple projects.
- Hands-on and fact-based style with strong attention to detail. Strong analytics and problem solving/structuring skills.
- Creative, proactive and innovative – does not accept the status quo.
- Outstanding people leadership skills.
- Presence, impact and influence.
- Highly results driven, with the energy and determination to succeed in a very fast paced environment where the pace of response and leadership is critical to success.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are required. French or German language skills would also be useful.
- Ability to recognize that the people diversity makes a difference.
- Ability to develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the achievement of results always ensuring trust, respect, consistency and fairness.
- Experience in managing operations or shared services team in a financial services and customer focused environment.
- Project Management qualification (e.g. PRINCE2/APM) or significant experience of working in an environment where a Project Management methodology was in use. Experience in managing a portfolio of projects, change governance and planning/budgeting cycles.
- Significant experience of using a wide range of IT tools – including workflow and business management tools. Excel and PowerPoint must be at a high standard. A good understanding of databases would also be welcome.
- Demonstrable lean experience or a similar process improvement methodology. Lean Six Sigma Black Certification would be an advantage.
- Demonstrable practical experience and understanding of best practice operations management.
- Track record of managing the successful delivery of multiple change projects/programmes in a complex environment. Exposure to full project life cycles, from inception to user acceptance testing and initial live running.
- Track record of successfully leading, developing and motivating several/large teams.
- Track record of managing on multi-cultural environments.
- Experience in high quality commercial environments. Able to give advice and guidance as well as understanding the implications for the client and the bottom line of your actions.
- Track record in meeting internal and external customer needs ensuring a great experience every time and sustaining productive customer relationships.
- High degree of confidence and maturity, able to influence across all levels, including management across Europe.
- Ability to provide functional leadership to team members and staff and ensure they develop and perform to correctly handle their missions.
- Strong coaching capabilities and ability to deliver goals through your immediate team and staff.
- Outstanding leadership, communications, presentation, training, team facilitation, and interpersonal capabilities combined with an ability to work cross functionally/geography and across all levels of the organisation. Cultural awareness.
- Ability to align the service provided by the Policy Administration team with Hiscox´s vision, inspiring people to achieve operational excellence.
What you should be aware of:
Travels across Europe
- In the long term you could be a successor to ESSC Director. In the medium term, appointment to key operations or change roles across Europe, the UK or the US will be considered.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join Hiscox during a time of focused growth where you will have the remit to make a real difference.
Hiscox offers an environment where you are encouraged to grow with the team and this is an exciting time to be joining this fast growing organisation. There will be plenty of opportunity for on-the-job career development within a supportive environment.