The Microsoft Data Insights Consulting Practice is looking for a Solution Architect with deep experience enabling commercial solutions with data platform, analytics and integrated data. The role requires a broad range of industry knowledge and a minimum of 5 years’ implementation experience. The ideal candidate has a background developing and shipping production solutions at enterprise scale, for both, commercial and public customers.
- The Data Insights Solution Architect must apply advanced analysis skills and experience in principals of the analytics solution engineering to provide detailed reliable solutions and estimates for service implementations.
- Understanding of competitive and open source technology enables the architect to properly assess customer solutions hosted on non-Microsoft platforms. Advanced domain knowledge in one or more vertical industry is also an asset. Solution Architects are expected to gain and maintain effective product group relationships.
- The Data Insights Solution Architect helps customer account teams identify, pursue and close strategic business development opportunities while continually driving add-on business within existing projects. To accomplish this, Solution Architects must be effective in fostering executive level relationships.
- They also play a key role in employing, leveraging partners and Global Delivery as part of the overall Microsoft services delivery model. Solution Architects help translate business requirements into technology requirements for inclusion in contracts and/or statements of work (SOW).
- In some cases, the Solution Architect will also assist in contract negotiations. Solution Architects have a passion for the customer which is demonstrated through professionalism and striving for excellence in all aspects of the customer experience.
Experience/skills required for this role include:
Expert level knowledge required in architecting, planning, testing and deploying analytics solutions including the following:
- Proven experience estimating, scoping, and writing effective statements of work that clearly set expectations and limit risk
- Demonstrated excellence at presenting complex development topics to both executive and technical personnel
- An ability to articulate architectural differences between solution methods and the challenges and approaches to integrating solutions built on different platforms including a working knowledge of different architectural frameworks that may be used by our customers
- Working knowledge of specialized tools and solution providers whether they be Microsoft partners or competitors
- Knowledge of full application life cycle design tools and methodologies
- Exceptional demonstrated consulting skills
- Large enterprise or commercial deployment experience in complex heterogeneous environments
- Ability to move between high level architectural review/design and the “roll up the sleeves” level of actually doing all phases of an application delivery project
The Solution Architect should have deep technical skills that include most of these areas:
- End-to-end Microsoft BI stack: SQL Server, Azure SQL DB, Azure DW, Azure ML, Analytics Platform Server, HD Insight, Stream Insight, SharePoint BI, PowerPivot, PowerView, Excel
- Big Data stack: MapReduce, Hadoop, Sqoop, Pig, Hive, Hbase, Flume
- ETL technologies: SSIS, Talend, Pentaho, Informatica, etc
- DBMS: Relational (SQL Server, incl. T-SQL, Scripting, etc), columnar (RedShift, Vertica), noSQL (MongoDB, Redis, Cassandra – key-value stores, graph databases, RDF triple stores)
- Languages: Java, Python, R, F#, C#
- Data Science and Analytical tools, languages, or libraries: SAS, SPSS, R, Mahout, MatLab)
- High-scale or distributed RDBMS (PDW, RedShift, Teradata, Netezza, Greenplum, Aster Data, Vertica)
- Development environments: Visual Studio
- Operating Systems: Windows Azure, AWS, Windows Server, Linux
- Knowledge of cloud computing infrastructure (e.g. Azure, Amazon Web Services EC2, Elastic MapReduce) and considerations for scalable, distributed systems
- Data migration and integration from existing data stores
- Ability to learn and apply new technologies and programming languages as required
Candidates must be fluent in English (spoken and written).
Travel of min 50%, through EMEA, is an integral expectation of this position as the needs of our customers and our business demand.
Microsoft Services is dedicated to delivering on Microsoft’s mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. As one of the largest divisions inside Microsoft – with over 21,500 employees worldwide – this diverse team includes architects, consultants, support professionals, sales, and business leaders who serve customers in 191 countries and 46 languages. Simply put, we help customers get the most out of their technology investments. We are proud to be the face of Microsoft to many of our customers and partners. The power of that connection, in addition to understanding how they use our products, helps us deliver the voice of our customers back to our business groups to make our technology and Microsoft even better.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected status.