Who are we?
Hiscox is an international specialist insurer and reinsurer. We provide market leading products and excellent service to individuals and businesses with unusual and often complicated insurance needs. A FTSE 250 company, we can trace our roots to the Lloyd’s market in 1901. We employ over 2,200 highly professional staff, have offices in 14 countries and customers all over the world.
In 2015 the Hiscox Group grew by 10.7% to £1,944.2 million gross written premium and a very healthy profit of £216.1 million, delivering a return on equity of 16%.
We cover reinsurance and insurance risks that range from marine, terrorism, aerospace, technology, media and professional indemnity through to high value personal insurance, such as homes and contents, fine art, luxury motor, and kidnap and ransom, and are market leaders in many of our chosen areas.
The main underwriting parts of the Group are:
- Hiscox UK and Europe offers a range of specialist insurance for professionals and business customers, as well as high net worth individuals.
- Hiscox International includes operations in USA, Guernsey and Direct Asia offering a range of specialist insurance.
- Hiscox London Market, Hiscox Re and Hiscox MGA underwrites mainly internationally traded business in the London and Bermuda insurance markets – generally large or complex business which needs to be shared with other insurers or needs the international licences of Lloyd’s.
Our business philosophy
The best people
Any business is only as good as the people it employs, and we employ the best in the business. We empower our people to provide the type of insurance solutions which are often too complex for other insurance companies, and aim to provide our customers with a level of personal attention that standard insurers might not be able to.
We are committed to developing our staff through our graduate programme, mentoring, in-house and external training, and our professional approach to setting standards is best practice. We are also members of the Chartered Insurance Institute, which has a long history of championing professional standards within the industry, and many of our people have become – or are in the process of becoming – CII accredited.
The best clients
Hiscox has three vital questions for every risk – “Who is the insured? Who is the insured? Who is the insured?”. Who we insure is as important as what we insure. Whatever the business, be it a global oil company or a one man professional practice, we are interested in the management and how the business is run. Our belief is that the good insured always pays too much, and the bad insured too little. By seeking out the good insured and avoiding the bad, we are able to offer wide cover at reasonable premiums.
All of our products have been designed with our customers’ specific needs in mind. Creative use of technology has also improved distribution and enabled us to respond even more quickly and effectively to our customers. Unlike many of our competitors, Hiscox really is an organisation that thrives on change.
- Hiscox Europe covers Belgium, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain and Portugal.
- The FTE headcount is around 320 and the total number of people is around 345.
As a business we generate sales of around €211m per annum via two main product streams “Art and Private Client” (high net worth private households, personal fine art and public and personal collections) and “Professional, Specialty and Commercial” (which provides insurance products to small to medium sized businesses).
Most of our business is conducted through other businesses, Insurance brokers, or through other financial services businesses such as banks.
We currently have an opening for an IT Business Analyst based in our Lisbon office to work on a variety of projects for our European insurance business.
On occasion the role may involve some European travel.
- Work with the European business, particularly our Germany business unit, to understand and analyse requirements and be seen as a trusted advisor.
- Have a thorough understanding of Insurance business processes and be able to identify areas for process improvement.
- Build strong productive customer focused relationships with the Business, IT teams and third parties.
- Needs to be an independent thinker, and a key contributor in supporting the project manager towards successful delivery of projects.
- Have the ability to manage small IT projects end to end.
- Produce high quality business requirements documentation (such as requirements specifications, user stories, use cases and acceptance criteria) and detailed technical requirements specifications (such as data models, ER diagrams, UML models).
- Holding requirements gathering sessions, capturing meeting minutes, following up on action items, reporting project status, and ownership of project documentation.
- Managing scope creep and clearly communicating with stakeholders on feasibility and effort analysis.
- Working closely with the Development and Testing teams through out the project lifecycle to ensure that the requirements are understood and development is aligned.
- Reviewing test cases and test plans from the System Test team, negotiate testing scope and timelines, review test scripts, review defects raised.
- Driving the UAT with the business users, which includes performing some parts of the UAT, providing test scenarios and training to the business users, reviewing defects raised.
- Maintaining risks and issues logs and actively managing the mitigation strategies.
- Communicating regularly with the project team members, the IT leadership, European Business Stakeholders, and Project Sponsors to provide appropriate requirements related status updates.
- Expected to work with managers and staff within the European Business and across IT as well with external partners and vendors across a number of geographies (in order to deliver the projects).
- More than five years’ experience of working as a business analyst in an IT environment. Exposure to 3rd party integration & EDI solutions would be a real advantage.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills, capable of working with people at all levels within and external to the business. German would be a real advantage.
- Good understanding of Insurance processes and terminology. Experience of insurance market in Germany or Benelux would be a real advantage.
- Experience in soliciting and documenting requirements using a variety of styles and techniques.
- Experience working with distributed teams and relationship building with stakeholders.
- Experience of the full project life cycle and use of the appropriate controls at each step.
- Experience with Agile or iterative methodologies and terminology.
- Ability to combine “soft” influencing, persuasion and consultancy skills with “leadership” qualities that encourage business leaders to positively respond to questions, and requests to meet deadlines.
- Creative, proactive, logical and innovative and will not just accept the status quo.
- Results driven, with the energy and determination to succeed in a fast paced environment where the pace of response and leadership is critical to success.
- BA/BSc Degree in a relevant subject.
Hiscox offers an environment where you are encouraged to grow with the team and this is an exciting time to be joining this fast growing organisation. There will be plenty of opportunity for on the job career development within a supportive environment.