Following one of the most significant integrations in the Biotec industry, we are currently recruiting for an accomplished General Manager to lead our Portuguese teams
The main purpose of this role will be to provides strategic and operational direction and leadership to the commercial team and support functions (dotted line) in Portugal, effectively managing the team and internal / external stakeholders to maximize the benefit to patients and customers, and to optimize the value of the products for Shire.
The General Manager Portugal is accountable for the delivery of agreed country metrics, including commercial P&L, and financial and commercial KPIs. The General Manager Portugal will sit on the Spain and Portugal Leadership Team and will also host the Portugal Leadership Team.
- Provide strategic direction and sets general objectives and business priorities for the commercial and support functions to ensure organizational alignment and effective cross-functional coordination.
- Represent the Portuguese LOC in front of external stakeholders, such as Health Authorities and regulators, industry forums, patient associations, media etc.
- Oversee the creation and execution of the annual Marketing plans to meet Spain and Portugal cluster goals and revenues, and ensure that local country plans are developed, implemented and monitored in conjunction with relevant cross-functional teams
- Assess and recommend opportunities for local country lifecycle management of the brands to optimize brand growth, profitability, and competitiveness. Oversee development of business cases to support new opportunities as needed
- Manage, motivate, and develop talent within the Portugal country organization by setting clear objectives, effective coaching, evaluation and feedback on performance
- Work with the Heads of Franchise and relevant function teams (e.g., Human Resources, Customer Facing Excellence) to set annual sales targets, incentives, and review progress vs. target for each Franchise
- Oversee country team members are properly trained on the relevant SOPs, products, diseases, sales techniques, and systems to excel in their respective roles, and meet country and cluster training compliance metrics
- Ensure all activities of the Portugal organization are compliant with both Shire and in-country guidelines
- Perform bi-annual Performance Reviews in-line with Shire talent management process
- Oversee all HR related issues in the Portugal organization including discipline, reward, recruitment, appraisal, setting standards, and ensuring any problems arising are resolved, together with HR
- Ensure administrative systems are effective and designed to support the Portugal organization activities without impeding efforts to meet business goals
- Encourage and demonstrate the key components of the Shire culture as a people manager and business leader
- Deliver local country objectives
- Accountable for alignment and execution of Portugal product strategies (in-line and new products) and programs with corporate BU strategies and programs.
- Accountable for expenditure budgets within tolerances +/- 3% per quarter.
- Accountable for deployment, development and management of local country staff to deliver local country objectives.
- Manage size, structure and capability reviews of the Portugal business.
- Manage, motivate and provide incentives for Portugal staff, developing individuals and ensuring training interventions are delivered to meet company requirements. Ensure deployment of personal development plans for staff, leadership and training initiatives. Manage personnel performance issues and put in place corrective measures.
- Performance management designated products
- Accountable for creation of Portugal financial plan (7 years), marketing plan (up to 3 years) and 12 month tactical plan, and execution thereof. Ensure alignment of Portugal plans to corporate Franchises plans.
- Develop monitoring systems, including KPIs to ensure performance against plan.
- Assess marketing implications of any acquisitions or divestments to Shire business and to manage products and resourcing throughout the lifecycle.
- Coordinates different business functions
- Ensure Portugal commercial and support functions are aligned, share common goals and information and work together as a team
- Ensure alignment with International Commercial and other relevant central functions with respect to provision of services and supporting information.
Required education and experience:
- Degree or equivalent in related discipline, with excellent numerical skills.
- Experience in working in multinational companies and international environments.
- Significant experience in pharmaceutical sales and marketing, at senior managerial level.
- Experience launching pharma products in different therapeutic areas, in either a marketing or sales management capacity.
- Intimate knowledge of the Portugal healthcare marketplace.
- Proven ability to leverage knowledge of marketplace, competitor landscape, and economic forces and translate them into clear short term and long term strategies.
- Demonstrated success in the following key areas:
- P&L management / budget management
- Identifying growth opportunities for a given product and driving an organization to capture value
- Formulating and implementing effective marketing and sales strategies
- Effectively working with cross-functional teams
- Developing business cases to recommend and rationalize investments and other strategic actions
- Good communicator, negotiator and able to influence.
- A successful track record of hiring, developing and retaining talent must be demonstrated.
- Thorough working knowledge of the IPHA / ABPI code of practice and experience of approval processes for promotional material.
- Understand the business, including thorough understanding of the commercial aspects of the business, including brand management, sales planning and execution market access, regulatory environments, etc
- P&L and Budget Management
- Focusing on performance, ensuring accountability and driving results to meet agreed-upon targets.
- Managing execution through a deep understanding of Commercial & Medical Excellence vision, tools, and processes
- Building collaborative relationships, including effectively working with and leading cross-functional teams, inspiring and motivating others
- Ability to navigate change, including articulating the vision to relevant team members and stakeholders
Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We have best-in-class products available in more than 100 countries across core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal / Internal Medicine / Endocrine and Hereditary Angioedema; a growing franchise in Oncology; and an emerging, innovative pipeline in Ophthalmics.
Our employees come to work every day with a shared mission: to develop and deliver breakthrough therapies for the hundreds of millions of people in the world affected by rare diseases and other high-need conditions, and who lack effective therapies to live their lives to the fullest.